Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Humbling ourselves before the Lord

Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe.
Proverbs 29:25 (NIV)
     Last evening in bible class we were discussing Acts 26. Most individuals who have been in the church or raised within the Church know this passage and understand what is happening. Paul has been incarcerated for at least 2 years. He was imprisoned for speaking out about Christ's death and resurrection. Not something new and to be surprised about...however, during class we attempted to look at this 'trial' through the eyes of the other individuals involved. Now that was a new twist! I had never truly looked at this text through the eyes of those individuals other than Paul and his testimony to Festus, Agrippa, and the other leaders assembled. So indulge me a moment as I attempt to bring into view a different look at this account.
     This trial starts as Festus, the new Roman Leader over that area of the Roman Empire is attempting to clean up what his predessor had not wanted to deal with. And as any good politician would do, even today, He was attempting to pass the worst issues off to anyone else who might have a way of dealing with a problem without causing a riot or uprising that would cost him his position and potentially his life. Therefore, he invites the Jewish King Agrippa to assist with this trail. Interestingly enough most of the individuals who will be sitting in on this will be Romans. Not the Jewish Priests and Clergy who originally were the ones causing all the outrage and unrest, no this was so long after the original protest that only the highest ranking Romans and the King and his wife seem to be involved. So with the table set lets actually look at what happened during this trial.
      First off, we see Paul brought before his Roman superiors and the Jewish King. He is in chains and has been waiting 2 years to be able to actually speak out. Father has opened the door for His child to speak to the Romans and Jewish leaders but not in Paul's own timing; in God's timing. Paul has languished off every one's radar for 2 years. I would have been impatient and upset. Crying out about being forgotten, not so with Paul. He has waited patiently for God's time which was after the original Rulers were gone. That can only been seen as a providential plan since we now have individuals who are vaguely familiar with the whole issue revolving around Paul.
     Next we have Paul's own defense put forth without anger or resentment. He gives respect and honor to all who are there listening. ( Acts 26: 1 Then Agrippa said to Paul, "You may speak in your defense."So Paul, with a gesture of his hand, started his defense: 2 "I am fortunate, King Agrippa, that you are the one hearing my defense against all these accusations made by the Jewish leaders, 3 for I know you are an expert on Jewish customs and controversies. Now please listen to me patiently! ) But even more he recounts to all his own background and his salvation experience that changed his whole life. Here is where I feel drawn to focus. You see as Paul is talking, he appears to be mainly talking and speaking directly to Agrippa. He focuses upon the one who is also a Jew but Paul is also speaking directly to the gentiles present. They do not know this but they are 'the field' that Paul is preparing for God to bring in a harvest.
     Paul talks to Agrippa about his being a Pharisee of Pharisee's. He speaks of the death and destruction that he was bringing upon the church as he felt was his Jewish duty. (4 "As the Jewish leaders are well aware, I was given a thorough Jewish training from my earliest childhood among my own people and in Jerusalem. 5 If they would admit it, they know that I have been a member of the Pharisees, the strictest sect of our religion.) He tells all present about his Damascus Road experience and being chosen by Jesus to bring this Great News to the Gentiles. (12 "One day I was on such a mission to Damascus, armed with the authority and commission of the leading priests. 13 About noon, Your Majesty, a light from heaven brighter than the sun shone down on me and my companions. 14 We all fell down, and I heard a voice saying to me in Aramaic, 'Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me? It is hard for you to fight against my will. ' 15 "'Who are you, sir?' I asked."And the Lord replied, 'I am Jesus, the one you are persecuting. 16 Now stand up! For I have appeared to you to appoint you as my servant and my witness. You are to tell the world about this experience and about other times I will appear to you. 17 And I will protect you from both your own people and the Gentiles. Yes, I am going to send you to the Gentiles.) Now all this seems simple enough, but remember the audience. Festus and most of the others in that room were Romans. They were gentiles. But not only were they Gentiles, they believed in multiple deities. They were strongly polytheistic, worshiping Jupiter, Mars, Venus, Mercury, and all the other Roman gods. The gods that they were used to worshiping were not involved in human lives unless they were causing strife and wars, coming down to molest maidens or young men, etc. These Gods of the Romans were not about helping humanity...they were more an extension of humanity's carnal natures on a grandiose scale. They were the epitome of lust, anger, covetousness, lasciviousness, vanity, and any other human type feeling that we would label as Hedonistic. Yet rarely did they exhibit compassion, familial love, humility, mercy, grace, or other feelings that we associate with the Christian virtues.
     With all that in mind, picture visually if you can, Paul standing in the center of an ancient building. He is facing the main characters in this story and presenting his case. Think about Paul talking about his origins and persecution of the church. (9 "I used to believe that I ought to do everything I could to oppose the followers of Jesus of Nazareth. 10 Authorized by the leading priests, I caused many of the believers in Jerusalem to be sent to prison. And I cast my vote against them when they were condemned to death. 11 Many times I had them whipped in the synagogues to try to get them to curse Christ. I was so violently opposed to them that I even hounded them in distant cities of foreign lands.) What do you see the Romans doing. To me they all seem vaguely involved, mostly murmuring assents and not really paying attention at this moment. However, when Paul speaks to his Damascus Road experiences, I see them all suddenly getting quite and attentive. As he speaks to God's plans and Jesus dying on the Cross, which they would know about, they start leaning forward and/or actively listening.  (8 Why does it seem incredible to any of you that God can raise the dead?) ( 23 that the Messiah would suffer and be the first to rise from the dead as a light to Jews and Gentiles alike.")  You see, no other god in human history has ever willingly sacrificed himself for those who worship him. Not One. Romans know about sacrifices to gods and the gods even sometimes demanded human sacrifice but never before has one placed himself on the sacrificial table and submitted to death willingly for his worshipers. I believe that immediately after this statement all became intensely interested in this conversation. Most likely there were some present, that were intimately aware of the actual crucifixion and had heard the story of the empty tomb. This would lend some credibility, in the minds of some of those Romans present, with regards to the story being presented. But it would be Agrippa's silence throughout this whole discourse that would lend the most credibility to Paul's testimony. Even Festus was stunned into making an accusation of insanity toward Paul to stop the growing sea of intrigue and interest in a God who would do this for His chosen. Yet, not just for His clergy but for all of humanity willing to accept Him. Festus cried out (in my mind) to stop Paul from actually converting at that moment some of the leading Romans in that room. What makes me feel that Paul was winning many souls in that room was Agrippa's own confession, "Do you think you can make me a Christian so quickly?" in verse 28. I know some think that Agrippa was making this statement in a light hearted or sarcastic way...yet, I propose that Agrippa was deeply moved and could FEEL the truth of Paul's statements. Paul's training would ensure that he knew all the prophecies and his ability to present them in a compelling way before a fellow Jew. Can you see Agrippa squirm as he was brought through the prophecy to the death of Jesus on the Cross and then an empty tomb proclaiming the resurrection just as foretold? Can you watch as Festus looks on in amazement, first to Paul for his story telling, and then in shock as he witnessed the truth of these stories, written on Agrippa's face? Is it any wonder that Festus let out a cry of 'Insanity' when looking around the room he could see his fellow Romans beginning to believe! Festus had been so immersed in the story, that he had to ring out that cry from himself or he himself may have fallen victim to Father's call for repentance and faith as presented by Paul. For me this is now a truly WOW moment! That Paul, a prisoner and most likely not in the best clothing or appearance, could have spoken out so boldly as to nearly convert a room  full of polytheistic Romans who were used to worshiping many gods. To be able to touch them so deeply with his story of the Messiah as to nearly make Christian even the Jewish King. AMAZING!
     So what? Why does this matter to me? What does it have to do with today? Truthfully, nothing...and everything. That story can be just another bible story that you remember and never accept into your heart so that you allow the Holy Spirit to utilize you in your current position. Or if like me, you see a new example of the true power God's Spirit taking a human being in its lowliest state and utilizing it to prepare the field for God to bring a harvest of new converts,  then it can mean Everything! You realize that if Paul in his current state could stand before the most powerful men in that province, and humble himself through obedience before the Lord, and speak out boldly for Christ; then I should be able to humble myself to the power of the Holy Spirit living within me and Father will be able to utilize even a wretched sinner as myself for His kingdoms glory and expansion. Who among us today has persecuted the church and murdered it's members? Which of us has put so much hatred and anger into destroying God's work? Not one wearing the name of Christ and if Jesus can change Paul...then, how much more so would I be changed if only I would kneel and allow Him to rule me. Paul in a single dialog with this roomful of sinners was able to plant seeds that I have to believe Father was able to bring into a harvest of new souls for Christ. Yet, am I going to fight against Jesus and stop answering when the Spirit calls? or will I step out in faith as Paul did and humble myself in obedience to Father's will? Each of us must look inside and answer honestly how we will respond. I pray that you will answer with a call for Father to send His Spirit to you and allow Spirit to guide you as you walk the rest of your path.

No comments:

Post a Comment